sketchbook

.
these pages are from a sketchbook from when I was in 3rd year Gold and Silversmithing at RMIT. many years ago.
I remember that I was finding it hard to start a new body of work and was wanting to create work that was my own, which probably sounds strange, but sometimes being a student you are surrounded with current thoughts and images which can creep into your own vernacular. So I went back to something that was uniquely my own, a small metal box from my childhood which held the things that I thought were 'precious'. I took all the things that were in the box and quickly sketched them, hoping that the sketches would lead me somewhere new.



















































A year or 2 later when I was writing the proposal for my Masters, these images lead me to the title I used for the body of work that became my Masters body of work.

These are the things that hold me here ( a house, a vessel, a shell, a ring)







.